Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Welly in the UK - ALDI Stores


Photo Courtesy of Mikey 1/64

Photo Courtesy of Mikey 1/64


Welly have come a long way since they first started copying Tomica models and the such. A recent post on Swifty's Garage (http://swiftysgarage.net/topic/7220849/1/) announced that two new 20 packs were on special at the ALDI Chain in the UK back in the month of July. I reached out and asked if anyone was willing to pick up both sets, and to my surprise and excitement, 'Mikey 1/64' offered to pick up as many sets needed for collectors as he could get his hands on. I want to add that he sent mine at no additional cost for this I am very grateful.

 According to Mike, "They are Welly models, a mixture of (very) old and much newer castings. The newer ones are much better quality, but the older ones have some period charm. The backs of the boxes give details of the distributor: Dario Markenartikelvertrieb GMBH & Co. KG. of Hamburg, Germany."

Well, they arrived last week and I got around to getting some quick pictures of the contents. Mike was correct about the selection of quaint older models and their excellent more recent castings.  I will arrange the pictures by automaker vs. contents of each set as I do my collections. So, let's get started:)

BMW

Too Sweet!


Very NICE!



The rear is a little too bland (generic)






Mercedes Benz

My Favorite of the bunch...hands down!



I was glad to add this model I was missing





Hard to see, but there is a dog back there much like the 80s Hot Wheel version of this model!

Nice and plain the way I like em!

Just plain cool...reminds me of the Matchbox TV News Truck





Audi

One of the best miniature versions of this model I have seen



I like this!



Porsche

Lovely!!








Ford



A very cool Ford Pickup...I have a few Ambulances with this casting as well

Based on the Tomica?


Small but nice!



Ferrari and Masarati

A little crude but still charming....

A little crude but still charming....



Chevy





Mini

Too Large IMHO




Jeep

Based on the old Yatming casting?




Dodge/Chrysler

Tomica ripoff?

Small but the only Daytona I know off with no rear spoiler:)

Pontiac

Too crude!



Mazda

Nice



Nissan

Pretty cool...Tomica again?



Racing








Bus


Tomica based?

Well, I hope you enjoyed the tour. I plan on photographing the rest of my Welly collection over the next few weeks and will post them in either in segments or in a single post. How would you all like me to post them...I have a few hundred to get ready:)

Cheers,

Jeff (aka 94SS)




4 comments:

  1. Great review Jeff!
    I was also lucky to receive these sets from Mikey and I prettymuch agree with you assessments but I particularly like the Chevy Van castings!
    HWJOE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Joe...the Chevy Vans are pretty cool and they look familiar. Have they always been Welly or did they 'borrow' this casting as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff. I'm glad you are enjoying these models as much as I am. It was a pleasure to get them for you. I look forward to seeing more pics of your Welly collection.
    Just one query though - I'm pretty sure that the yellow car you describe as a Maserati is in fact an early De Tomaso Pantera from before they added the big rear wing. (I think Welly actually released both versions).
    Happy collecting :-)
    Mikey1/64

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes....you are correct Mike. I always get those two mixed up...and now that you say that is looks close to my Tomica version:)

    Thx again for all your help!

    ReplyDelete